SUBMISSION GUIDELINES FOR THE COMMUNITY/PERFORMING ARTS CALENDAR
This calendar is intended to serve listeners in the broadcast signal area of WERU or near to it. They include: the coast from Bath/Brunswick to Eastport, throughout Hancock, Piscataquis, Waldo and Knox Counties, the Greater Bangor Area (below Lincoln), Augusta, Farmington, Skowhegan and Waterville. Portland is included only for statewide events based there any day of the week or for performing arts events on the weekends (Friday night-Sunday).
- Items should have a phone contact (e-mail and website addresses are too cumbersome to read over the air)
- Should be submitted at least 2 weeks in advance and can be submitted months ahead of time.
We will include in the calendar:
- Non-profit events – including music, dance, theatre, suppers, workshops, etc.
- For-profit performing arts in the signal area, craft shows/fairs
- Political gatherings [see “We will not include” below]
- Art receptions [not exhibits]
- Free films / films with educational value, non-traditional, or for encouraging community involvement in some way (e.g. social action)
- Crafts fairs / Farmers’ markets (if it is for more than one vendor)
- Town/City celebrations
- Fundraiser for a family (families) in need.
We will not include:
- Events that are sent less than 2 weeks of when they are happening.
- Worship services – any denomination/religion
- Events that are out of the signal area
- Portland music events from Monday to Thursday – too far for signal area
- Political gatherings for a particular candidate within a month of an election [ok when all sides are represented]
- Art exhibits [only cover receptions/tastings on a given day]
- General films at a movie theatre
- Sales by individuals/businesses – for-profit art sales, business ribbon cutting ceremonies
- We can’t list prices of an event unless it is a WERU event.
- For FMIs (For More Information) – we prefer phone numbers over websites too.
For a listing of events not covered here, please go to your local events calendars provided by newspapers or TV stations. Thank you!